Dating your spouse can be very rewarding. It can lead to getting to know each other better and improved communication. In our hectic society, it can be difficult and often expensive to simply go out on a date. Here are a few ideas to incorporate dates into your crazy schedules to help you get closer to your spouse.
- The Picnic – This doesn’t have to be the traditional blanket on the grass in the park and you don’t have to cook. If you do choose to cook, it will be cheaper still. My wife and I have found that we love to run to the grocery store or farmers market, pick up sandwiches, drinks and snacks and then head for a drive along a scenic highway. It will cost very little and you can see the beauty of God’s Earth along the way. We tend to eat as we drive and stop on occasion to take pictures.
- Local Art – This one can be tricky. How do you not get roped into buying the art? We love to go to one of the little neighboring towns in the county where we live. It was once a thriving fishing village along the lake that has since been transformed into an artsy little resort village. Everyone with any talent that doesn’t have a ‘manager’ sets up shop in this quaint little town. We swing by Starbucks and grab a drink for each of us, or you can take your own, and just walk up each side of the street. We take our time, looking at the art they have on display in the windows. With little to no traffic, we can judge the art without other people trying to push us to buy it. If we decided we like a piece, we wait until morning. If we still like it in the morning, we might go back and buy it. This prevents compulsive shopping and allows us to recognize how the other person perceives the world around us.
- Run Away – When one of us is feeling in the dumps, we will run away to one of the other nearby towns. Many times, we get so used to our hometowns that we forget that there are other towns nearby with different shops and scenery. A fun and exciting way to decide where to go, is one of you hold a map. The other person closes their eyes and points. As long as the better navigator is driving, you shouldn’t get lost. Take this opportunity to get to know each other a little better. When driving, there is nothing but the two of you and the open road. You’re on your own adventure with each other, so make it memorable.
- Local Festivals – Though it’s not a fancy restaurant or going to a movie or concert, there is plenty of entertainment for very cheap at a local festival. My spouse might have to drag me kicking and screaming to the latest musical performance at the local performing arts center, and I will equally have as much trouble getting her to go to the Hot Rod Show and Shine. But each of us will gladly make the compromise if it means we can bring a little extra happiness to our spouses day, and it is a great opportunity to get to know our spouse better and find out what makes them tick. Remember…the worst thing for a marriage is to build illusions of who you think the other person is or should be. By going with them to experience something they like, you get to know them and learn to appreciate them for who they are.
- Hiking/Walking in the local park – Walk around the whole park and find the perfect spot to sit and talk. There’s no time like the present to start practicing communication. You may have your whole lives ahead of you, but communication can break down in the blink of an eye. Practice now and practice often to add strength to your marriage. Our spot is near the smallest of the waterfalls at the local park. It has a gazebo and since everyone insists on sitting and watching the largest waterfall in the park, no one bothers us. Remember, for your marriage, communicate often and take time to spend time together. You don’t need to break the bank to do it.
Dale & Adi Lee operate Power & Compassion Christian Counseling in Kalispell Montana with a heart for helping couples, families and individuals work through their problems and difficulties by providing knowledgeable counseling advice through the lens of Gods word. Their real passion is for helping couples to build strong marriages, by teaching them how to communicate effectively, build strong romance into their marriage and teaching them how work through the times of martial strife and difficulties through christian principles and effective counseling. You can learn more about their marriage counseling services by visiting http://www.christianmarriageretreats.net